What is a blog?
A blog (a contraction of the term web log) is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video.
This is an exciting time in education, as students and teachers explore and utilize new technology as tools for teaching and learning. Blogging is our next step forward.
Blogs in Plain English (Video)
Why do students need blogs?
To give students a platform to connect, communicate and collaborate with an authentic audience that includes students, teachers, parents, and invited members of the local and global community.
Blogging is a tool that allows students to make their work look good, shows what they have learned and achieved, gives voice to their ideas and opinions, provides a space for journal entries, allows an area for reflection and a place to showcase their work.
How will blogs be managed?
Students are responsible for the content and upkeep of their individual blogs. However, Mrs. Caskey has the right to serve as an administrator and monitor each blog and has the right to remove any comments that are inappropriate or off task. Everyone signs an AUP, which states that you agree to exhibit appropriate behaviour when using technology.
How might student blogs be useful for parents?
By having our students post samples of their work, their thoughts, ideas and opinions on their blogs, parents will have a “window into their child’s classroom”. Parents will be able to gain a rich picture of their child as a learner, and will be invited to post their comments as feedback on their child’s work. Grandparents and family members who live in other parts of the state, country or world, can also be invited to access the student blogs, thus providing students with an even wider audience for their work.
In order to preserve your personal privacy and safety it is important that the following procedures are followed when posting comments:
- Only use your first name and last initial (charlotte c)
- Never post any personal information
When posting comments observe the following protocol:
- Use proper English
- Refrain from using text language and shortcuts and emoticons
- Follow the rules of civility that we use for Socratic Seminars.
- Stay on topic and keep your comments appropriate for school. These blogs are not simply a place to socialize.
Useful tips on how to use blogs and save you time.
1. Subscribe to the blogs using the rss button . This will alert you if a blog has been updated, therefore saving you time by only visiting the blogs with new information. Students should check the blog at least once a day.
2. All personal information and questions and comments that are personal in nature should be deleted from your blog. For example, questions about grades should be emailed directly to your teacher, not posted as a question on the blog.
3. Typing in all caps is considered yelling when communicating with text email or post.